Thursday, August 13, 2009

Medical Clinic for OP

Today was a very full and emotional day for a lot of us. My day started out pleasant enough. I planned to meet Alice at the road and walk to the Church, Tom decided to join us and we had a nice walk thru the town of Kiminini. After reaching the Church just minutes after the vans did we were ushered in for tea and breakfast. The set up of the clinic was done quickly and the orphans and their guardians with other family were already waiting. All were weighed, measured, had their blood pressure taken along with temps before they went to see a doctor. Then if needed they received injections or had lab work done before making the stop to the pharmacy. Dr Kasenbeli brought several clinians and nurses to help and this made the process of seeing and treating over 300 people move as smoothly as possible. I have been a part of OWI med clinics to both the OP and to the surrounding public for the last 5 yrs and have been able to handle all the sickness and frustration I have witnessed at them. Knowing that what we do helps a bit , even giving them some hope by showing them that others care about their situation, but today was different for me. I saw one of the orphans sitting in the corner all by himself, he had been there for quite a while. I went and sat by him in silence as we could not communicate with each other. I tried to locate his guardian but found out that she had a funeral to attend and had dropped the boy off with a young girl of about 10 and that girl was in charge of a toddler. I decided to take the boy thru the stations of the clinic. So after having his weight and measurments taken we then then moved on to the doctor. I sat there saying nothing as the doctor asked this 7 year old child what his symptoms were. The Dr prescribed meds for malaria and an eye infection and then sent us to the pharmacy. They filled his prescriptions and told him how the take his medicine. I stood there wondering if he understood and if he would follow the instructions given him. How can this be? A child his age taking on the responsibility of his health? I had the instructions repeated to the girl and she promised to tell the guardian. With nothing more I could do, I watched these 3 small children begin their walk back home alone. The injustice and pain of of it hit me so hard that I could not go back inside the Church for a good hour, I couldn't bear to see the same situation played out again. I don't understand why this is but I do know and believe that God loves that child and all who are suffering and He is walking through it with them as they deal with their trails in this life. Seeing that young boy with his sad little eyes jiust sitting there all alone makes me hope for the promise of our new home where there will be no more tears or sorrow to come quickly...... Tomorrow we will do this again for the public.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment